Jewish stuff at ChaiSpace!

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Thursday Night Suicides

I didn't get a chance to write on Friday. I slept until about 1130. Thursday night I went to Cinema City with Ele, Ren and Nadiv. Cinema City is a big cinema (21 screens I think) in Ramat Hasharon which is pretty close by. I've never been there before because we have perfectly good cinemas here in Ra'anana. It was a pretty cool experience though.. They make a whole big deal about the place with all these massive sculptures and ads. The place is really hyped up. It seems like lots of young people go there on Thursday nights. The place was crawling with soldiers (out of uniform) and I ran into someone from my base. We saw Flightplan which was a really good movie. Excellent even. I can't really explain what it's about without spoiling it but I recommend seeing it. Especially in the theater because you actually feel like you're in the plane.

I thought I would share my opinion on the following too:

IDF to collect guns to prevent suicides
The IDF has decided to start collecting weapons from non-combat soldiers to reduce suicide attempts, Army Radio reported Thursday. The report also said soldiers who did not require weapons or were serving in rear units would not be issued weapons for the same reason. So far this year, some 30 soldiers have committed suicide, the report said. It did not say how many of them were combat soldiers. - Arieh OÂ’Sullivan

I think this is ridiculous. From my experience the suicide rate is pretty equal if not higher in combat soldiers. There would be less soldiers killing themselves if the Army was more empathetic with it's soldiers. Being in the army is not easy. Some people just aren't cut out for it and some just aren't cut out for specific jobs. If the army would help these soldiers more then they wouldn't have this problem on their hands. Many soldiers ask to see psychologist or at least "Mental Health Officers"- kabanim, and don't get to see them for a long time if they get to see them at all, (They have to pass interviews with several COs before being allowed). If these people were more readily available, it is me belief the suicide rate would be lower. The army isn't treating the underlying problem- simply covering its ass. People who want to commit suicide will commit suicide. They don't need the army's gun to do it. I think any soldier who wants a gun should be allowed one. We are soldiers after all. The uniform gives us added responsibility to civilians and the uniform makes us bigger targets. Shouldn't we at least be armed targets if we want?! The army shouldn't take away our right to defend ourselves and others just because we aren't on the front lines.

Just my two, maybe three cents. Agree? Disagree? Let me know.

3 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

I dunno, from what I've seen of the people that were in my unit and were transferred to become Combat Supporters (Tomchei Lechima/Jobnikim), giving them a gun would just be asking for trouble. I cannot count the number of times they're forgotten their gun, mistreated it, thrown it, or even loaded it took it off safety and aimed it at someone (yes, this has happened). As for the Kabanim, as far as I know, if you ask for one you MUST see one in 48 hours. At least that's the way it works on my base...

 
At 11:01 PM, October 11, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

You've been in the army long enough to know that MUST doesn't really mean "must". More of a "should". They have to pass some interviews first from what I know. Soldiers who fuck around with their guns like that are just stupid- you're right they shouldn't have one.

 
At 2:41 AM, October 16, 2005, Blogger Aaron said...

but gross you could say the same thing about alot of people who are kravi "fighters".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home