Jewish stuff at ChaiSpace!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Of Blood and Bruises

Bit of a long day. I feel completely wiped out. On my way home from the base today I went to register myself into the national bone marrow databank. They were having some annual collection day today and last year they had closed up by the time I made it there so I did that today. The nurse who took my blood killed my arm. She hesitated when putting the needle in. Then moved it around when attaching the tube. Then she took the tube out and looked at it for a few seconds while letting the needle come half out. I could see part of the hole at the tip of the needle, sticking out of the hole in my arm. It's probably going to leave a bruise. It hurt like an SOB! I used to complain about the people in the army who take your blood. You know, they're young, about my age, what do they know? Compared to the old lady who did mine today, the army blood taking feels like a massage (which I could really use right about now). Anyway, I think registering for the databank is really important. It's so easy to save a life. Why wouldn't you do it? I feel the same about donating blood. It's so easy, there really aren't many excuses not to do it. I plan on giving in about 2 weeks, after Sukkot.

Tomorrow is Yom Kippur. Day of Atonement. More thinking ahead I guess, and no eating. I'm not sure I'll post tomorrow and the following night I doubt I will either. So Gmar Chatima Tova to the Jews and happy Wednesday to the others. Oh and Merry Ramadan to the Muslims ( I think it's around now sometime).

1 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, October 12, 2005, Blogger Talli said...

I wouldn't mind giving you a massage.

and gross, no, i don't want to give you a massage. I choose who I massage.
no questions.

i am SO SO SO sorry about the blood thing. I know exactly what you mean about inexperienced nurses. I want to kill them all. when I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago, she kept talking to me, so that led my attention to my arm and where all the action was happening (i'm a hysterical fainter, and i need to lie down and concentrate on unicorns and bunnies when i'm getting a blood test) and then she started hurting my arm and asked me if i drank enough this morning, and this made me hysterical, and then she had to go into my other vein but by this time she had called the usual calm non-speaking nurse... so i survived.

though i went to work afterwards i started crying in the middle of the day; but that's ok because at psychological services they're used to that kind of thing.

wow, i needn't even blog today. I blogged on your blog! hah!

so gmar chatimah tovah and have a good fast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home